Celtic vs. Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Competition: Scottish Premiership
Venue: Celtic Park
Date: Saturday; February 20, 2016
Kick off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Don Robertson
Celtic will host Inverness Caledonian Thistle at Parkhead on Saturday looking to protect their three-point lead over Aberdeen at the top of the table. Aberdeen have an away game against Partick Thistle on Friday and the Hoops can play their game knowing the fate of their title challengers. Inverness boss John Hughes is delighted to see Aberdeen provide a title challenge this season – but Celtic’s quality could see them crowned champions once again.
The Defending Scottish champions have won 25 games against the Caley Jags out of the 35 times they have faced each other – whereas Inverness have only won on four occasions. Celtic have to concentrate on their own performances and try to avoid defensive errors to win an important game.
Celtic’s Premiership record: P25– W18– D4– L3
Inverness’s Premiership record: P24– W8– D8– L8
Celtic’s Recent form (all competitions): W-W-L-L-W
Inverness’s Recent form (all competitions): W-W-D-W-L
Previous Meeting (Last 6 matches):
SPL 29-11-2015 Inverness 1 : 3 Celtic
SPL 15-08-2015 Celtic 4 : 2 Inverness
SPL 24-05-2015 Celtic 5 : 0 Inverness
STSC 19-04-2015 (AET) Inverness *3 : 2 Celtic
SPL 11-04-2015 Inverness 1 : 1 Celtic
SPL 01-11-2014 Celtic 1 : 0 Inverness
Celtic team news:
- Centre-half Jozo Simunovic will miss the game with a torn ligament in his knee.
- The Bhoys have recently announced the signing of 17-year-old midfielder Kristoffer Ajer on a four-year deal from IK Start in Norway.
- Saidy Jako misses the game due to a knee injury.
Inverness team news:
- Caley Thistle still have several injury problems as club captain Richie Foran (calf) remains out, while Alex Fisher (ankle), Josh Meekings and James Vincent (both knee) are unlikely to return for Saturday’s clash.
- Long-term absentee Aaron Doran (knee) is still out, but stopper Dean Brill is closing in on a return from a knee injury.
Celtic predicted starting line-up: Gordon,Tierney, Sviatchenko, Boyata,Lustig, Brown, Bitton, Armstrong, Rogic, McGregor, Griffiths
Inverness predicted starting line-up: Williams, Tremarco, Warren, Devine, Horner, Draper, Tansey, Vigurs, Roberts, Polworth, Storey
Celtic (from): Gordon, Lustig, Ambrose, Boyata, Sviatchenko, Tierney, Izaguirre, Johansen, Forrest, Mulgrew, Commons, Rogic, Bitton, Armstrong, Allan, Mackay-Steven, Griffiths, Christie, Cole, McGregor, Roberts, Kazim-Richards, Bailly.
Inverness (from): OF Williams, Raven, Warren, Devine, Tremarco, Tansey, D Williams, Draper, Polworth, Storey, Mbuyi-Mutombo, Vigurs, Sutherland, Roberts, Ferguson, Wedderburn, Hughes, R Williams, Brown, Esson.
Match facts (via WhoScored):
- Celtic have won their last 5 home matches against Inverness in all competitions.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 9 ofInverness’s last 11 games (Premier League).
- Celtic have scored at least 3 goals in their last 3matches against Inverness in all competitions.
- Celtic have been winning at both half time and full time in their last 3 home matches (Premier League).
Prediction: Celtic 2-1 Inverness