Liverpool vs. Augsburg
UEFA Europa League: Round of 32 second leg
Date: Thursday, February 25, 2016
Kick off: 18:00 GMT
Referee: Clément Turpin (FRA)
After the goalless draw at the WWK ARENA last Thursday, Liverpool welcome the German side to Anfield for the return leg in with progress into the last 16 of the Europa League on the line.
Jurgen Klopp is expected to name his strongest line-up, as this competition along with FA Cup, remains the only hope for the highly-rated German to win his first trophy in charge of Liverpool.
However, it won’t be an easy task for the Merseyside club, as Augsburg have won seven of their last 10 matches on the road in all competitions and after dropping form in the Bundesliga are determined to shine at Europa League.
Liverpool’s Premier League record: P26– W10– D8– L8
Augsburg’s Bundesliga record: P22– W6– D6– L10
Liverpool’s Recent form (all competitions): D-W-L-D-L
Augsburg’s Recent form (all competitions): W-D-L-L-D
Head to Head Stats:
IUC 18-02-2016 Augsburg 0 : 0 Liverpool
Liverpool team news:
- Jurgen Klopp is expected to name the same starting Xl as in the first leg, that should see Daniel Sturridge, Roberto Firmino and Philippe Coutinho start together once more.
- Dejan Lovren is ill and is likely to miss out, while Adam Lallana and Joe Allen are still out.
- Danny Ings (ACL Knee Injury), Joe Gomez (ACL Knee Injury) and Jordan Rossiter (Hamstring Injury) remain on the sidelines.
Augsburg team news:
- An Augsburg statement read: “Alongside long-term injured players Jan-Ingwer Callsen-Bracker and Daniel Baier, the likes of Jeong-Ho Hong, Piotr Trochowski, Raul Bobadilla and Jan Moravek are currently sidelined.
- Alfred Finnbogason is favourite to lead the line for the away side on Thursday.
Liverpool predicted starting line-up:
Augsburg predicted starting line-up:
Players to watch:
Roberto Firmino – The Brazilian international already proven that he is an incredible talent at times this season, he also knows how to perform against German clubs as he spent four seasons in the Bundesliga for Hoffenheim. The 24-year-old has had a hand in 14 goals for the Reds this season.
Paul Verhaegh – The 32-year-old veteran right-back is a captain of the Bundesliga outfit and probably the most stable performer at Augsburg. With Liverpool expected take the game to the Germans, the Dutchman’s defensive contribution could be very important for his side. Verhaegh is also able to score, as he netted six times this year in all competitions.
Match facts (via BBC):
- Liverpool are unbeaten in five European home matches (W2 D3) since a 3-0 defeat to Real Madrid in the 2014-15 Champions League group stage
- Augsburg have won their last two continental away fixtures
- Founded in 1907, Augsburg finished fifth in Germany last season to qualify for the Europa League group stage
- Jurgen Klopp faced Augsburg 10 times in Germany with Mainz and Borussia Dortmund, with the record W2 D3 L5
Prediction: Liverpool 2-0 Augsburg