Celtic vs. Greenock Morton
Competition: Scottish Cup quarter-final
Venue: Celtic Park
Date: Sunday; March 6, 2016
Kick off: 12:00 GMT
Referee: Willie Collum
Celtic will look to ensure their are no slip-ups against Greenock Morton in the quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup as the pressure builds on head-coach Ronny Deila with their lead at the top of the Premiership having been reduced to four points after two successive draws. The last meeting of these sides was in the League Cup three years ago and Morton went to Parkhead and secured a 1-0 extra-time win courtesy of a Dougie Imrie goal.
This is the first time Morton have made the last eight of the cup since 1999, when they also faced the Hoops. Also this will be the Ton’s fourth away game of the competition; they won 4-1 at Annan Athletic F.C. last time out having beaten Livingston F.C and Albion Rovers F.C in previous rounds.
The Bhoys will face their former player Jim Duffy, manager of Morton, and former Celtic youth striker Denny Johnstone, who has netted eight goals in 26 appearances this season.
Celtic’s Premiership record: P28–W19– D6– L3
Morton’s Championship record: P27–W8– D8–L11
Celtic’s Recent form (all competitions): D-D-W-W-W
Morton’s Recent form (all competitions): D-L-W-L-W
SCIC 24-09-2013 AET Celtic 0 : 1* Greenock Morton
STSC 19-01-2010 Greenock Morton 0 : 1 Celtic
Celtic team news:
- Centre-back Jozo Simunovic will miss the game with a torn ligament in the knee.
- Nir Bitton remains a doubt after missing the last two games with a knock and will be give a late fitness test.
- Patrick Roberts, who rejected contract extension, reportedly could start here.
Morton team news:
- Paul McMullan, on-loan from Celtic, is cup-tied owing to his previous appearance in the Scottish Cup with St Mirren.
- Michael Tidser will also be missing with a calf injury.
Celtic predicted starting line-up: Gordon, Tierney, Sviatchenko, Mulgrew, Lustig, Brown, Rogic, Roberts, Armstrong, McGregor, Griffiths
Morton predicted starting line-up: Gaston, Russell, O’Ware, Kilday, Miller, Tidser, Forbes, McKee, Barr, Johnstone, McCluskey
Match facts (via WhoScored):
- Celtic have kept a clean sheet in 5 of their last 7 matches (Tennents Scottish Cup).
- Celtic have been winning at both half time and full time in 5 of their last 7 matches (Tennents Scottish Cup).
- Greenock Morton have won their last 3 matches (Tennents Scottish Cup).
- Celtic are undefeated in their last 7 matches (Tennents Scottish Cup).
Prediction: Celtic 2-0 Morton