Manchester City vs Manchester United
Competition: Barclays Premier League
Venue: Etihad Stadium
Date: Sunday; March 20; 2016
Kick off: 16:00 GMT
Referee: Michael Oliver
The biggest Premier League game of the weekend sees Manchester City take on Manchester United at the Etihad Stadium in a tie which could have huge bearings on the race for Champions League football.
The Citizens can all but kill off United’s Champions League qualification hopes by winning this fixture. This would also boost their bid to ensure a top-four finish and overhaul the faltering Arsenal, who are third.
The 171st Manchester derby could be ideal for eliciting a positive reaction from the Reds after being knocked out of the Europa League in midweek. Louis van Gaal’s sie then have their FA Cup quater-final replay with West Ham United on the horizon, which is realistically their only chance of success this season.
Both of these sides are out of form so it will be a close tie which will perhaps lack the quality we have become so accustom to for a game of this magnitude. This could potentially be a repeat of the 0-0 draw that occured at Old Trafford earlier in the season.
Man City’s Premier League record: P29– W15– D6– L8
Man Utd’s Premier League record: P29– W13– D8– L8
Man City’s Recent form (All competitions): D-D-W-L-W
Man Utd’s Recent form (All competitions): D-D-L-L-W
Head to Head Stats(Last 6 matches):
EPL 25-10-2015 Manchester United 0 : 0 Manchester City
EPL 12-04-2015 Manchester United 4 : 2 Manchester City
EPL 02-11-2014 Manchester City 1 : 0 Manchester United
EPL 25-03-2014 Manchester United 0 : 3 Manchester City
EPL 22-09-2013 Manchester City 4 : 1 Manchester United
EPL 08-04-2013 Manchester United 1 : 2 Manchester City
Man City team news:
- Samir Nasri has returned to training for the first time in five months but he won’t be ready in time for the Manchester derby. Vincent Kompany is also ruled out after suffering another calf problem in their midweek Champions League fixture.
- Nicolas Otamendi was also hauled off in the first half of their 0-0 draw with Dynamo Kyiv, but he is expected to be fine for Sunday.
- Bacary Sagna and Pablo Zabaleta are vying for a spot at right-back, which is also true of Gael Clichy and Aleksandar Kolarov on the left. Manuel Pellegrini doesn’t seem to know who are his best full-backs anymore.
- Kevin de Bruyne and Fabian Delph are still out.
Man Utd team news:
- Ander Herrera is a doubt for the Manchester derby after skipping their draw against Liverpool on Thursday with a tight groin.
- Marcus Rashford looks like he could benefit from a rest although there doesn’t look like there are any signs Louis van Gaal will relent with the youngster.
- Morgan Schneiderlin and Bastian Schweinsteiger will be pushing for a start after settling for a role on the bench against Liverpool.
Match facts (via Opta):
- Manchester City have won four and lost just one of the last six Barclays Premier League meetings with Manchester United.
- Sergio Aguero has scored seven goals as many league meetings with United. Only five players have scored more against the Red Devils in BPL history (Les Ferdinand, Thierry Henry, Steven Gerrard and Robbie Fowler with eight, Alan Shearer with 10).
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 12 of Man City‘s last 13 home games (Premier League).
- Aguero has scored 11 goals in his last eight BPL outings at the Etihad Stadium.
- Man Utd have not lost three successive league matches away at Man City since 1955 (four in a row).
Prediction: Man City 2-2 Man Utd