Manchester City vs Dynamo Kiev
Competition: UEFA Champions League
Venue: Etihad Stadium
Date: Tuesday; March 15; 2016
Kick off: 19:45 GMT
Referee: Ovidiu Haţegan (ROU)
Manchester City will host Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League last 16 second leg at the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday.
The Citizens stumbled to a 0-0 draw at relegation-threatened Norwich City on Saturday as Manuel Pellegrini’s side suffered another damaging blow to their Premier League title hopes and the hosts are determined to guarantee their place in the next round of the Champions League with a win here.
The Ukraine giants have secured back-to-back league wins following the winter break and despite their first leg defeat, come into this tie brimming with confidence. The last time these two teams met at the Etihad, however, City ran out victors, with the visitors having it all to do in Manchester.
Manchester City’s Premier League record: P29– W15– D6– L8
Dynamo Kiev’s Pari-Match League record: P18– W16– D1– L1
Manchester City’s Recent form (All competitions): D-W-L-W-W
Dynamo Kiev‘s Recent form (All competitions): W-W-D-L-D
Head to Head Stats:
ICL 24-02-2016 Dynamo Kyiv 1 : 3 Manchester City
IUC 17-03-2011 Manchester City 1 : 0 Dynamo Kyiv
IUC 10-03-2011 Dynamo Kyiv 2 : 0 Manchester City
Manchester City team news:
- The Citizens are once again without injured trio Samir Nasri, Kevin De Bruyne and Fabian Delph here.
- Manuel Pellegrini could bring Raheem Sterling into the starting XI in place of Wilfried Bony from the side that drew 0-0 with Norwich on Saturday.
Dynamo Kiev team news:
- Vitorino Antunes returns from suspension and can be expected to come into the side at left-back.
- Mykola Morozyuk misses out with a knee problem for Ukraine outfit.
- Sergiy Rebrov is sweating on the fitness of Andriy Yarmolenko, Oleksandr Rybka and Sergiy Sydorchuk.
Manchester City predicted starting line-up: Hart; Sagna, Kompany, Otamendi, Clichy; Fernandinho, Touré; Navas, Silva, Sterling; Aguero.Dynamo Kiev predicted starting line-up: Shovkovskiy; Vida, Khacheridi, Dragovic, Antunes; Rybalka, Veloso, Garmash, Buyalskiy, Yarmolenko; Teodorczyk.
Manchester City honours – 4 x English champions, 5 x FA Cup winners, 4 x League Cup winners, 4 x Community Shield winners, 1 x Cup Winners’ Cup winners
Match facts (via Opta):
- Manchester City have reached the knockout stages of the Champions League for the third consecutive season. They have never made it past the Last 16 though, being knocked out by Barcelona in each of the last two campaigns.
- Dynamo Kiev hadn’t reached the knockout stages of the Champions League since 1998/99. They were eliminated by Bayern Munich in the semi-finals.
- Among the 16 teams left, Manchester City are the only side yet to register a clean sheet in the Champions League this season.
- None of Manchester City’s 35 Champions League games have ended 0-0. Only Basel have played more games in the competition without registering a goalless draw (46).
- Manchester City have kept only one clean sheet in their 17 Champions League home games. It was against Bayern Munich in December 2011 (2-0).
- Manchester City have scored more goals than any other team in the final 15 minutes of games in the Champions League this season (6).
- Manchester City have picked up five cards in seven games this season (all yellows), the lowest total of any team in the competition this season.
- The first-leg between Kiev and City was the only game in the last 16 stage not to produce a single card.
- Dynamo Kiev have won only four of their last 34 Champions League away games (D7 L23).
- Meanwhile, Dynamo Kiev have never won an away game against an English team in European competition (D2 L11). They’ve also never scored more than one goal in those 13 trips to England.
- Sergio Agüero has scored 16 goals in his last 17 Champions League starts.
- Raheem Sterling has scored three goals and delivered two assists in his last three Champions League starts.
Prediction: Manchester City 1-1 Dynamo Kiev