Borussia Dortmund vs Liverpool
Competition: Europa League
Venue: Signal Iduna Park
Date: Thursday; April 7; 2016
Kick off: 19:05 GMT
Referee: Carlos Velasco Carballo (ESP)
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will travel to the place he once called home in what will be an emotionally charged return to Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League on Thursday night.
Favourites for Europe’s lesser competition, Dortmund dismantled FC Porto and Tottenham Hotspur in the knockout phase, beating the Portuguese giants 3-0 and the Premier League title hopefuls 5-1 on aggregate.
BVB are rightly considered firm favourites for this clash, as they have been excellent in 2016 and are 16 matches unbeaten in all competitions, also they have only lost one match at home all season. Winning a staggering 19 of 22 matches on home soil.
The Reds and Sparta Prague are the only two unbeaten teams in the competition, but Klopp’s team have only won four of their 10 Europa League matches.
Despite Roberto Firmino’s injury it’s less likely Klopp will play defensively, and will likely try to nick an away goal. Liverpool will be hoping the tie is still close ahead of the Anfield decider to maintain the chance of winning at least one title this season.
Dortmund’s Bundesliga record: P28– W21– D4– L3
Liverpool’s Premier League record: P30– W12– D9– L9
Dortmund’s Recent form (All competitions): W-W-W-W-W
Liverpool’s Recent form (All competitions): D-L-D-W-W
Head to Head Stats(Last 3 matches):
ICF 10-08-2014 Liverpool 4 : 0 Borussia Dortmund
ICL 30-10-2001 Liverpool 2 : 0 Borussia Dortmund
ICL 19-09-2001 Borussia Dortmund 0 : 0 Liverpool
Dortmund team news:
- Ilkay Gundogan, Mats Hummels and Sokratis Papastathopoulos have all returned to full training, which is huge news for Thomas Tuchel. Gundogan has missed Dortmund’s last five matches through injury.
- Nuri Sahin and Gonzalo Castro are vying for a start alongside Julian Weigl, as it may come too soon for Gundogan to start.
- Thomas Tuchel is expected to recall his strongest side after resting several players in their 3-2 win over Werder Bremen at the weekend.
Liverpool team news:
- Along with Roberto Firmino (Hamstring), the Reds will be missing Christian Benteke (Knee), Lucas Leiva (Thigh), Jordan Rossister (Hamstring), Danny Ings (Knee) and Joe Gomez (Knee), while Martin Skrtel remains doubtful.
- Jurgen Klopp isn’t expected to make any changes from the side that drew 1-1 with Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.
Liverpool predicted starting line-up: Mignolet; Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno; Henderson, Can; Milner, Lallana, Coutinho; Sturridge
Match facts (via Opta):
- Jurgen Klopp took charge of 319 competitive games as Borussia Dortmund manager, winning 180 (56.4%).
- At Signal Iduna Park, Klopp won 96 of his 155 competitive matches in charge of Dortmund (61.9%)
- The Germans have won all four of their Europa League matches in the knockout stages so far this season; 2-0 and 1-0 versus FC Porto and 3-0 and 2-1 versus Tottenham Hotspur.
- Liverpool has conceded just six goals in its last 12 Europa League matches.
- This will be the 18th time that Liverpool has played a European away game in Germany (incl. East Germany) – the Reds only won two of their previous 17 trips (D9 L6).
Prediction: Borussia Dortmund 1-1 Liverpool