Leicester City vs Southampton
Competition: Barclays Premier League
Venue: King Power Stadium
Date: Sunday; April 3; 2016
Kick off: 12:30 GMT
Referee: Michael Oliver
Leicester City return from the international break and they welcome Southampton to the King Power Stadium.
The Foxes start the weekend four points clear of second-placed Tottenham Hotspur with seven games remaining and, with his confidence sky-high, Jamie Vardy, who has 21 goals for club and country this term, will be looking to score in a third straight game.
Southampton, meanwhile, are still in with a shout of finishing fourth. They are only four points off Manchester City and the way in which they came back from 2-0 down to beat Liverpool 3-2 would have given them great belief prior to the international break.
Leicester’s Premier League record: P31– W19– D9– L3
Southampton’s Premier League record: P31– W13– D8– L10
Leicester’s Recent form (All competitions): W-W-W-D-W
Southampton’s Recent form (All competitions): W-W-D-L-L
Head to Head Stats(Last 6 matches):
EPL 17-10-2015 Southampton 2 : 2 Leicester
EPL 09-05-2015 Leicester 2 : 0 Southampton
EPL 08-11-2014 Southampton 2 : 0 Leicester
EC 23-01-2012 Southampton 0 : 2 Leicester
EC 27-08-2011 Leicester 3 : 2 Southampton
EC 11-03-2008 Southampton 1 : 0 Leicester
Leicester team news:
- Claudio Ranieri will go with his strongest possible XI as they close in on the Premier League title.
- Kasper Schmeichel did not pick up an injury on international duty despite reports claiming he had.
- Andy King missed their win over Newcastle before the international break due to illness but should be fine to make the matchday squad.
Southampton team news:
- Ryan Bertrand withdrew from the England squad with a knee injury and is a doubt for the trip to tabble toppers Leicester. Charlie Austin is definitely out with a knee injury, while Florin Gardos and Jay Rodriguez are still short of match fitness.
- Ronald Koeman could stick to the side that finished so strongly against Liverpool before the international break, which would see Sadio Mane and Victor Wanyama come in for Dusan Tadic and Jordy Clasie.
Leicester City (from): Schmeichel, Schwarzer, Fuchs, Huth, Moore, Morgan, Simpson, Wasilewski, Albrighton, Amartey, Drinkwater, Dyer, Gray, Inler, Kante, King, Mahrez, Schlupp, Dodoo, Okazaki, Ulloa, Vardy.
Southampton (from): K Davis, Forster, Gazzaniga, Stekelenburg, Bertrand, Cedric, Fonte, Martina, Targett, Van Dijk, Yoshida, Clasie, S Davis, Mane, Reed, Romeu, Tadic, Wanyama, Ward-Prowse, Austin, Juanmi, Long, Pelle, Rodriguez.
Match facts (via Opta):
- Leicester City have won only one of their last eight Barclays Premier League matches against Southampton (D4 L3).
- Southampton’s only win away to Leicester in the BPL came in December 2001, winning 4-0 at Filbert Street (D2 L6).
- The Foxes have 41 more points from 31 league matches this season (66) compared to 2014/15 (25). They were also bottom of the league after 31 rounds of fixtures in 2014/15.
- Graziano Pelle has been involved in each of Southampton’s last five goals, scoring three and assisting the other two for Sadio Mane.
Prediction: Leicester 0-1 Southampton