Norwich City vs Newcastle United
Competition: Barclays Premier League
Venue: Carrow Road
Date: Saturday; April 2; 2016
Kick off: 14:00 GMT
Referee: Mike Dean
The international break couldn’t have come at a better time for Rafael Benitez’s relegation-threatened Newcastle United side. The Magpies find themselves in desperate need of three points on Saturday when the club travels to Carrow Road to face Norwich City.
Rafa Benitez’s side are three points adrift of Norwich in 19th place and, though they have played a game less, a defeat against Alex Neil’s men could all but end their chances of survival.
Norwich are two points clear of the bottom three after earning their first win in 12 just before the international break. The Canaries have also tightened up defensively and have only conceded one in their last three fixtures.
Neither side will be happy with a draw…but I take the Norwich-Newcastle match to end all square at 1-1. Considering the positive vibes from Sunderland draw, and a much needed boost from the new manager Newcastle could have a better chance to win here.
Norwich’s Premier League record: P31– W7– D7– L17
Newcastle’s Premier League record: P30– W6– D7– L17
Norwich’s Recent form (All competitions): W-D-L-L-L
Newcastle’s Recent form (All competitions): D-L-L-L-W
Head to Head Stats(Last 6 matches):
EPL 18-10-2015 Newcastle United 6 : 2 Norwich
EPL 28-01-2014 Norwich 0 : 0 Newcastle United
EPL 23-11-2013 Newcastle United 2 : 1 Norwich
EPL 12-01-2013 Norwich 0 : 0 Newcastle United
EPL 23-09-2012 Newcastle United 1 : 0 Norwich
EPL 18-03-2012 Newcastle United 1 : 0 Norwich
Norwich team news:
- Nathan Redmond and Alex Tettey are still sidelined for the home side, but Alex Neil will be hoping to have Robbie Brady and Ryan Bennett back from their respective knocks.
Newcastle team news:
- Rafa Benitez was dealt a real blow over the international period after Robert Elliot returned with a serious knee injury that will keep him out for six months. With Tim Krul also still injured, he will have to turn to Karl Darlow between the sticks.
- Jack Colback is suspended and Daryl Janmaat is unlikely to feature after skipping the international round of fixtures through injury. With Paul Dummett, Fabricio Coloccini and Massadio Haidara also out injured, Benitez is short of options at the back and may have to put Andros Townsend at left-back.
- Sylvain Marveaux and Gabriel Obertan are back available after the duo returned to full training over the international break. Cheick Tioté is also back in training and should return to the starting XI.
Norwich City (from): Kean, Rudd, Ruddy, Bassong, Bennett, Klose, Martin, Olsson, Pinto, Toffolo, Whittaker, Wisdom, Andreu, Brady, Dorrans, Hoolahan, Howson, Jarvis, Mulumbu, O’Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Bamford, Jerome, Mbokani, Naismith.
Newcastle United (from): Darlow, Janmaat, Lascelles, Mbemba, Taylor, Aarons, Anita, De Jong, Gouffran, Obertan, Saivet, Shelvey, Sissoko, Tiote, Townsend, Wijnaldum, Cisse, Doumbia, Mitrovic, Perez, Riviere, Toney.
Match facts (via Opta):
- Newcastle United have won four and lost none of the last six Barclays Premier League matches against Norwich City.
- Newcastle scored six goals from six shots on target when they beat the Canaries 6-2 at St James Park in October.
- Norwich have not lost at home to Newcastle in the top flight since January 1994, winning three and drawing two since then.
- Rafael Benitez has won all three of his previous league meetings with Norwich.
Prediction: Norwich 0-1 Newcastle