Original source: Diario Sport
Published by: The Sun, Independent, Metro
Also interested: AS Monaco
Contract until: June 2019
According to the Spanish media outlet Diario Sport, Spanish champions Barcelona are planning £12m summer move for Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo. The Argentina international has endured an injury-hit time at Old Trafford playing in only 30 Premier League matches – less than half of the 68 the club have played since he joined for £16million in August 2014. Barcelona are believed to be impressed with Rojo’s versatility, with the 26-year-old equally comfortable at left-back, as a wing-back or in the centre.
- Rojo has suffered injury-hit campaigns and failed to develop as hoped. He has made has made just ten appearances this season in Premier League and assisted once and it’s sensible United to think about selling him before his current contract expires in 2019.
- Luke Shaw should regain his place as United’s first-choice left-back when he is match-fit again, while academy graduate Cameron Borthwick-Jackson has impressed since his November debut. Daley Blind has played his best football for United at left-back and another local teenager, Joe Riley, showed promise on his two senior outings last month.
- Former Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen mostly struggling due to injuries, Jérémy Mathieu turns 33 in October, another veteran full-back Adriano, 31, out of contract and expected to leave the Nou Camp in the summer and Barca will need to sign their quality replacement. While Rojo’s future at United looking uncertain, a move to Spain might suit all parties.
- Back in 2014 Rojo admitted his dream was to play in Barcelona along with international teammate Leo Messi.
- The defender has recently revealed he thinks of leaving Old Trafford and wants to seal a transfer back to Argentina once his United contract expires, but it could be hint that the defender is unhappy at Manchester.
Considering these facts, Gib Football Show concludes that the rumours claiming ‘European Giants Prepare a Shock Move for Man Utd £16m Signing’ are ‘mostly true’.